Selective Service State Requirements
Attention Male Students - Federal law requires males, between the ages of 18 to 25, living in the US, to register with the Selective Service System.
Georgia state law requires Selective Service registration for males to qualify for Georgia’s state aid programs, which includes HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarships and Grants. Eligible colleges and universities cannot award any state aid program if a student does not meet the Federal Selective Service registration requirement.
If you have not registered with Selective Service System - Register Today!
- Visit Selective Service System: Register to register online and find out more information about Federal Selective Service Requirements. The registration takes a few minutes, and you will receive an online confirmation as soon as it is complete.
- If you do not have a social security number, visit SSS: No Social Security Number for a Printable Registration Form or visit a US Post Office and receive a paper registration form. Complete the registration form and sign and mail it to Selective Service. Registration may take up to 30 days.
If you need to check your Selective Service registration status visit Selective Service Verify Registration.
- I am not 18 yet, what do I need to do for Selective Service?
- Can I receive HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship if I have not registered for Selective Service?
- Where can I find out more about the Selective Service?
- Will I be contacted by military recruiters after I register with the Selective Service?
- I am an international student do I need to register?
I am not 18 yet, what do I need to do for Selective Service?
Within 30 days of your 18th birthday, register with selective service. If not, it will affect your state financial aid.
Can I receive HOPE/Zell Miller Scholarship if I have not registered for Selective Service?
Male students between 18 and 25 years of age must have a Selective Service registration in GSFC’s database in order for your college or university to process your state aid.
Where can I find out more about the Selective Service?
Visit Selective Service System for more information about registration.
Will I be contacted by military recruiters after I register with the Selective Service?
No, there has not been a draft since 1973. Registering with the Selective Service ensures rapid expansion (in the form of a draft or lottery) of our Armed Forces in a time of national emergencies.
I am an international student do I need to register?
International students on valid (non-expired) F or M Visas are not required to register due to their non-immigrant status. The student must submit a Selective Service Exemption Form and a copy of their eligible Visa to GSFC.
Note: Students must meet all eligibility requirements.