Application Procedure for the Behavioral Health Professions SCL Program
The online BHP SCL application is open for the 2024 Program Year (Spring/Winter terms). Colleges will begin certification of the applications in mid-December.
Before applying for a BHP SCL, the student must have a GAfutures student account with SSN for secure identification and have a current year FASFA on file with GSFA. (GAfutures accounts are secure and are not shared).
- BHP SCL is an annual process which includes application, certification, approval, and disbursement.
- Completed applications are selected and provided to the applicant’s listed college.
- Selection of applications are processed on a first come, first served, and are based on available funds.
- Selection does not guarantee approval and applicants may or may not be selected each application year.
- The applicant’s college must determine BHP SCL eligibility. If applicant is eligible the college certifies the loan application and determines the award amount based on your enrollment in an eligible degree, cost of attendance, financial aid package, and unmet need. If the applicant is not eligible the college declines the loan application.
- After the college has certified the loan application, the applicant is sent a secure email and they have 5 calendar days to electronically sign the required promissory note and self-certification. (Applicants are then emailed their completed promissory note, self-certification, and disclosure).
- After the promissory note is signed, the loan will be processed.
- Loan disbursement funds are sent directly to the student's chosen college and are not transferable.
- If you apply for this loan, you understand the intent of the loan is for recipients to repay the loan through employment service in Georgia in an eligible Behavioral/Mental Health position.
- Borrow smart! When applying for a loan, request only the amount of funds needed for your educational costs and that you can repay.
- See the Service Cancellation & Cash Repayment tab for qualifying employment and professions and service cancellation options.