Administrative Reviews and Exceptions for the Dual Enrollment funding Program
If a student feels that his or her Dual Enrollment eligibility was determined incorrectly, he or she may submit a request to GSFC for an Administrative Review. Upon request of an Administrative Review, the Commission staff will review a student's eligibility determination and decide if the program laws, regulations, policies, and rules were applied correctly to a student's specific case.
Students must submit a written letter requesting an Administrative Review and any pertinent and supporting documentation, i.e. all transcripts, within 45 days of receiving notice of denial of Dual Enrollment eligibility. The Commission will decide a case based solely upon the documentation provided by the student, rather than a personal presentation.
- A Dual Enrollment Exception may be granted to a student that experienced one of the following extenuating circumstances:
- Student experienced a serious illness
- Student experienced a serious injury,
- Student has a death in their immediate family or was the only one to provide temporary care for an immediate family member.
- A student who experienced an eligible extenuating circumstance, while participating in the Dual Enrollment funding program, Summer term 2020 or later, may submit an Exception Request form with supporting documentation to request eligibility to continue participation, if the student:
- Withdrew from two Dual Enrollment courses (or more if in the same term), for which Dual Enrollment funds were received, Summer term 2020 or later OR
- Wishes to retake a course(s) for which Dual Enrollment funds were received, Summer term 2020 or later.
- Per the program regulations, the Board of Commissioners of GSFC has sole discretion to approve an exception request.
- Each individual Dual Enrollment recipient is limited to one Exception, as granted by the Board of Commissioners, and such Exception shall only apply to one school term, during which Dual Enrollment funds were received.
- An Exception does not grant additional hours of Dual Enrollment Program funding eligibility. The Exception solely allows for continued participation in the Dual Enrollment Program, up to the 30 semester or 45 quarter hours program Funding Cap.
- If approved, the student is permitted to enroll in courses for which the student previously enrolled or withdrawn while receiving Dual Enrollment funds and continue to receive funding up to the Funding Cap.
Supporting Documentation as Applicable based on Extenuating Circumstances:
- Signed letter from the student giving a full explanation of the circumstances for which the student is requesting an exception
- Official high school/home study transcript and postsecondary institution transcript while participating in Dual Enrollment
- Medical documentation from a physician(s), providing the following information
- Date(s) of diagnosis; and
- Date of dismissal or prognosis if the student remains under the physician’s care for this diagnosis.
- Copy of death certificate
- Statement from a medical professional providing care to the immediate family member and can document the student is the sole provider of care at home.
All required documentation must be provided at the time of submission. Documentation required to accompany an Exception Request Form must be received by close of business on the submission deadline date listed below. The student must meet all other eligibility requirements.
Deadline Submission Dates:
- A Dual Enrollment recipient is limited to one Exception during one term for which Dual Enrollment funding was received. The student, the student’s high school, and the postsecondary institution will be notified of the Board of Commissioners’ decision within seven calendar days of the approval or denial.
- Requests must be received by GSFC on or before the submission deadline date listed below. In some cases, it may be necessary to wait until the next board meeting to convene before a decision can be rendered.
First Friday in August
First Friday in July
First Friday in November
First Friday in October
First Friday in February
First Friday in January
First Friday in May
First Friday in April
*Note: If the Friday submission deadline falls on a holiday, the submission deadline is automatically the following Monday, by close of business.
To Apply for an Exception Request:
Requests for an Exception may be submitted to GSFC via US mail or secure email. The completed Exception Request Form and supporting documentation may be submitted in a secure email or mailed to:
Georgia Student Finance Commission
2082 East Exchange Place
Tucker, GA 30084
Programadmin@gsfc.org (submit in a secure email)
Exception Requests will automatically be denied for any one of the following reasons:
- If the student does not provide a request for an Exception Request form and supporting documentation in writing during the academic term, and within forty-five days preceding the term of withdrawal or requesting to retake a course and be approved for Dual Enrollment funding.
- If the student does not provide a request for an Exception Request in writing prior to or before the student’s last term of high school enrollment.
- If the basis of the request is the diagnosis of or presence of a learning disability.
- If the underlying cause for the student’s request for an Exception Request is attributed to a criminal act committed by the student, that resulted in a conviction or a plea of guilty or nolo contendere.
- If the basis of an Exception Request is to have a student’s postsecondary grade(s) earned in the Dual Enrollment funding Program forgiven or altered by GSFC staff.
- If the basis of the request is the death of an Immediate Family Member and/or step parent, step-child or step-sibling, and the death did not occur within forty-five days preceding the student’s official date of withdrawal from the academic term for which the Extenuating Circumstances Appeal is being requested.
- If the student is beyond the 30 semester or 45 quarter hours program Funding Cap.
- If the student is no longer enrolled at an eligible high school or home study program.
- If the basis of the request is a reason other than those specifically listed in Guidelines for Approval of an Exception Request section of the program regulations.
If you need additional assistance, email ProgramAdmin@gsfc.org.