IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access their IRS tax return information and transfer that data directly into their 2023-24 FAFSA from the IRS website.
If you are eligible, it is highly recommended you use this tool!
- It’s the easiest way to provide your tax data.
- It’s the best way of ensuring that your FAFSA has accurate tax information.
- You won’t need to provide a copy of your or your parents’ IRS Tax Return Transcript to your college.
If you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you will have to manually enter information from your tax forms and other documents using the on-screen instructions. Typically, you are unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool if one of the following applies:
- Anyone married and filed as Married Filing Separately.
- Anyone married and filed as Head of Household.
- The parents' marital status is unmarried and both legal parents living together.
- Filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return.
Additionally, students or parents who filed their tax returns electronically within the last three weeks, or through the mail within the last 11 weeks, might need to enter their tax return information manually. You can also return to complete your FAFSA at a later date to allow your tax return information time to be processed and be made available for transfer from the IRS to the Data Retrieval Tool.
Your college may require a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript (or your parents’ IRS Tax Return Transcript, if you are a dependent student) if you are ineligible or otherwise choose not to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.