Application Procedure for the Student Access Loan
Before applying for a Student Access Loan, the student must have a GAfutures account with SSN for secure identification and have a current year FASFA on file with GSFA/GAfutures. (GAfutures accounts are secure and are not shared.)
- SAL is an annual process which includes application, selection, certification, approval, and disbursement.
- Completed applications are selected and provided to the applicant’s listed college. (The first selection applications give priority to current HOPE and Zell Miller Scholarship recipients.)
- Selections of applications are processed on a first come, first served, and are based on available funds.
- Selection does not guarantee approval and applicants may or may not be selected each application year.
- The applicant’s college must determine SAL eligibility. If applicant is eligible the college certifies the loan application and determines the award amount. If the applicant is not eligible the college declines the loan application.
- After the college certify the loan application, the applicant is sent a secure email and they have 5 calendar days to electronically sign the required promissory note and self-certification. (Applicants are then emailed their completed promissory note, self-certification, and disclosure).
- After the promissory note is signed, the loan will be processed.
- Loan disbursement funds are sent directly to the student's chosen college and are not transferable.
- If you apply for this loan, you understand that this is a private education loan that must be repaid and cannot be combined or consolidated with federal student loans.
- Borrow smart! When applying for a loan, request only the amount of funds needed for your educational costs and that you can repay.