FAFSA Completion Events
Applying for financial aid for college can be confusing. The Georgia Student Finance Commission (GSFC) hosts free FAFSA completion events across the state to help families complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). This form is the key to accessing federal and student financial aid for higher education opportunities.
Students and Families
FAFSA Completion events are here to help students (high school seniors, returning college students and adult learners) and their families complete the FAFSA.
The Benefits of Attending
- Get the most financial aid you can!
- Talk with financial aid experts.
- Receive in-depth, line-by-line explanation of the FAFSA form.
The Benefits of Completing the FAFSA
- Qualifies students for low-interest and forgivable federal student loans.
- 85% of students have a chance to receive student financial aid.1
- 92% of students from low-income households will receive grants.1
- Students who file the FAFSA are 63% more likely to attend college.1
The FAFSA is not the long paper form it used to be. It has become shorter, simpler and more user-friendly to make applying for financial aid easier.
Plan ahead and learn what you need to bring to an event before you go.
High Schools and School Districts
GSFC has an online tool to track the FAFSA completion rates of high school seniors in Georgia to promote awareness and increase FAFSA completion. As the Federal Student Aid Administrator for Georgia, GSFC receives all information on completed FAFSAs for the state and is able to provide the data through the FAFSA Completion tool.
- Anyone can access school and district level data on GAfutures to see completion rates across the state.
- School administrators can track whether individual students have filed a FAFSA through GSFC’s STARS system. This is valuable information to have as counselors assist students transitioning from high school to postsecondary education.
1 - Source: National College Access Network