Get Involved as a Volunteer
Volunteers are a vital part of the Georgia Apply to College (GAC) program and are key to the success of the events at participating high schools. Volunteers provide assistance by:
- Welcoming students as they arrive.
- Directing students to sign on to computers.
- Assisting students as they navigate to the online applications on GAfutures.org.
- Answering any questions students may have as they complete their application(s) for college admission.
- Sharing college experiences and helping students get excited about college.
- Ensuring students sign-out following their participation.
- Volunteers do not need to be experts on the college admissions process. All that is needed is an interest in helping students take the first big step towards continuing their education following high school.
Here are some comments from previous GAC volunteers:
I loved being able to help the kids and being able to have conversations that really helped them think about their future.
The students were very willing to ask questions and the volunteers were all very helpful. I loved the atmosphere, it was calm and without stress.
I enjoyed the interaction with the students. I had forgotten what it was like to fill out an application and was amazed at all the questions that would seem straight forward but aren’t actually easy to answer!… Wonderful program! Keep it going!
This event is very beneficial. I helped a student who does not have a computer at home and other students whose parents would not have helped. I am certain some students may not have applied without his event.
Overall the event was great, encouraged kids to apply when they normally may have not done so!
How to Become a Volunteer
Volunteering is as easy as these three steps:
- View the list of participating schools to find a school event that works with your schedule and that has requested outside volunteer assistance. Please be sure to check back as events will be added as schools confirm their participation.
NOTE: GAC events take place at high schools across the state each October and November. As high schools begin confirming their participation for the year, their event information is added. If you do not see a school in your area, please check back.
- Contact the school’s GAC Site Coordinator and let them know your interest and availability during their event. The school will then confirm your volunteer registration and provide you with more detailed information about their event. Please note that only those with participation that has been confirmed by the school should attend that school’s event.
- View the Volunteer Handbook prior to attending your first GAC event. The handbook will provide you with the information you need to have a fun and rewarding volunteer experience!
The GAC Volunteer Handbook provides registered volunteers with information to help them have a fun and meaningful experience as a GAC volunteer. All volunteers are encouraged to review the Volunteer Handbook prior to their first GAC event. Prospective volunteers are welcome to contact the GSFC Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 770.724.9065 with any questions regarding the program.